Monday, September 17, 2012

"Bind My Wandring Heart To Thee"


Tonight I was making something and working with my hot glue gun. I was working quickly and trying to attach pieces to something and as such I accidentally stuck my finger into the hot glue.... Twice. 

I don't tolerate pain well anyway, but when it comes to a burn I act like a baby; I can't stand it. The pain that a burn causes is a very noticeable and lingering pain. Burns hurt for days, depending on how bad they are and even the tiniest of burns can really cause some discomfort. I don't even want to think about what it would be like to be burned badly, for an extended period of time or in a large area. 

 
As I was sitting trying to sooth my (VERY mildly) burned finger I started thinking about this verse.

Mark 9:43-48- "And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’ 
 Specifically, my thoughts drifted to the "unquenchable hell fire" that is talked about in this verse and other parts of the bible. Not only do I not want to think about that kind of fire & those kind of burns... I also can't begin to imagine what being "thrown into" that kind of fiery punishment would be like. Torture... Pure torture and pain that never stops. It's unquenchable and you are stuck inside it.

This verse suggests that if any one thing.. (drastically, our hands, eyes, feet) cause us to sin we should cut them off. I don't know that God really intends for us to rip our eyes out if they are a source of our sin but I don't think that this warning is something that anyone should take lightly.

We get wrapped up in so much so easily. We often find ourselves busy or obsessed with something that doesn't matter or isn't worth our time; So much that our involvement in it causes a lack of time to study God's word, pray, or worship. Or maybe it's more obvious... Maybe we are involved in something that is clearly sinful... but we hold on? Sometimes as Christians we forget that sin is sin; there is no ranking for certain sins that are worse then others. It SIN. PERIOD. Even if the error we are making seems small, to God, it isn't; It still stands between you and your salvation.

I don't say this to say that I am better then anyone who may find this and read it. I often need to take this to heart myself.... But I challenge you..

Don't let something stand between you and God; Don't talk yourself out of a change because it's too hard; Don't fall back on a sin just because it's an old, hard to break habit and don't convince your self that and "tiny sin" is okay. 
It starts small. We often decide that one "little" sin is okay; That it doesn't matter as much as everyone thinks. If we allow our selves to think this way, before long we have often slipped into a place that is much harder to escape from.
 What would God have you "cut" from your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment