Sunday, October 21, 2012

Busting At The Seams

I recently stumbled upon a little sign that said "May our home always be too small to hold all our friends". Miranda and I had been walking around the St. James art fair for a good part of the day and we found the sign in one of the little shops we passed by. :) She saw it first and showed it to me and I absolutely loved it... (actually upon reading it I cried a little... I know, I'm such a sap.) I loved the little sign so much I bought it. It's small.. (a magnet) and it's now hanging on our fridge. :)

 As some of you know, Dan and I have lived in an apartment since we got married... I'm completely fine with this.. I loved our first apartment and I like this one pretty well too. Even growing up our house was decently sized but not a big house so I suppose that is why this hit home with me so much. I've never been bitter about living in a small house. It's not about the size of the house... it's about making it a home.

Dan and I were some of the first in our group of friends to get married, and as such our home has always been a kind of landing place for our friends... at times... packed to the brim. :)  I love the sentiment of this little sign because I think it speaks of a very important lesson.... All that you have, all that you work for, and all that you own will one day be gone. We, as humans, have such a tendency to collect "stuff". We buy houses and we fill them with stuff until they will hold no more and then... we buy a bigger house. ;) (Some people take this to the extreme, but that's not what I'm talking about here.) I like lots of those "things we fill our houses with" too... I won't pretend not too... but the lesson isn't lost on me.

It's not about what you have, it's about WHO you have. 

I hope that I never forget this... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment