Saturday, January 5, 2013

Humbling Myself


I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions. I like the concept though, of determining to make a positive change in your life.. even if you don't pick January 1st as your "turn around day".

I feel that in our lives we should make the effort to better ourselves every chance we get... in everything. Success is measured in so many ways by lots of different types of people. Some want more power, more money, more stuff... and often those people will stop at nothing to get everything that they think they need. Often tho, in getting all of those things they find they are still missing out on what really makes them happy.

As I reflected this year on what I could do personally in my life that would make me "better" there were a number of things that crossed my mind. Some more trivial, others bigger.. but all of them mean something to me one way or another. Lots of people get crazy with cleaning, wanting to purge their lives of clutter, others rush to the packed gyms on January first and "commit" to exercise and dieting, some vow to spend less time working and or wasting time and more time being with family.. we've heard them all. There is something to be said for all of these things, and they are all good things to think about..(and all things that I could work on in my life!) ... but as I listed things I started to realize that the more I listed that none of the things on my list were the most important.

The number one thing that I want to work to change in my life is making sure that I am spending quality time with God.

I'm off to a pretty good start... and I plan to do my best to stay as focused as possible in doing so. The truth is.. you can make a million changes in your life, but unless you make this one you are still missing something. I'm sure that some of you who are reading this aren't believers.. and I want to point out that I don't mean to tell you how to live your life... I want to SHOW you what a difference it's made in mine!

 

...And as for those of you who find yourself reading this and smiling... 
1. Ask me.
2. Keep me on my toes.
3. Pray with me
 & for me.. (as I do for you)

I think all of us can do a little better, at any given time... It's never too late to start changing for the better! I want THIS resolution to be the one that I not only focus on this year, but work to build on each and every year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment